Event Co-hosts: City of Fremont, WorkSpace Fremont
Wednesday April 23, 2014 | 5:30p - 8:30p
Join us for an evening dinner at WorkSpace Fremont (Directions) to learn about The Cleantech Open 2014 accelerator program and how local companies are poised for near term impact in the battery technology arena.
Battery Fundamentals: Dr. Venkat Srinivasan, Department Head - Energy Storage and Distributed Resources at Lawrence Berkeley National Labs and Technical Advisor at ENOVIX will provide an overview of the technical and market fundamentals of battery technology laying the foundation for the rest of the evening's discussions.
Jeff Anderson, Managing Director of CalCEF and Executive Director of CalCharge will provide an overview of California's energy storage landscape and talk about CalCharge initiatives with Advanced Manufacturing, Battery University and Energy Storage Standards and Certification.
Rick Wilmer, CEO of Leyden Energy
With lessons learned from the solar industry, competition from within the US as well as from Korea, Japan and China, and the emergence of the occasional gigafactory, battery innovators are looking for ways to differentiate and thrive. Rick Wilmer, CEO of Leyden Energy, will talk about the rapid innovation challenge in the battery industry. Based in Fremont, Leyden Energy is developing solutions for high energy density and high power density applications.
Panel Discussion: Battery storage tipping points: The timing and impact of manufacturing innovations, advanced chemistries, grid responsiveness, and creative financing.
- Where are the shorter term battery technology opportunities for investors, entrepreneurs, and employees seeking a career in this field?
- Where are the sweet spots among utilities, businesses, transportation, homes and devices and how are they related or not related?
- How will storage financing models shape adoption, and who are the key players?
- How has the pace of cost reductions changed in recent years and what is the outlook in the coming years. Is the moving target of $/kWH moving faster?
- Can the industry support a wide array of technologies to cover the spectrum of applications or will there be a natural thinning out of chemistries and technology choices to achieve economies of scale?
Confirmed Panelists / Speakers
- Cameron Dales, VP Operations & Business Development at Enovix and former VP, GM and Founder of Symyx Tools
- Dan Lankford, Managng Director of Wavepoint Ventures, Advisor to Ballast Energy, former executive at Element Energy, Innergy Power Corporation, and BOLDER Technologies which he took IPO
- Jason Li, Founder & CEO of Tenergy, Wharton MBA, PhD in Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Mark Platshon, Partner at Birchmere Ventures, Sr. Advisor at BMW i Ventures, Co-Founder of Amprius
- Tom Stepien, CEO of Primus Power and former executive at Applied Materials and Lam Research
The Cleantech Open: Overview of The Cleantech Open:
- Over 850 companies served and more than $900 million raised
- Learn about our 2014 Business Accelerator
- Eight clean technology categories including Energy Distribution & Storage
- Accelerate your startup with expert training, national visibility, and investor engagement
- Up to $230,000 in cash and services awarded
Don’t have your own cleantech company? In addition to great networking, the event will include information about how you can get involved as a volunteer, mentor, judge, investor and more.
WorkSpace Fremont, 45401 Research Ave, Fremont, CA (Directions)
www.workspacefremont.com Who Should Attend?
Energy storage professionals, energy entrepreneurs, investors, executives, policy makers, analysts, press and anyone interested in storage technology and systems as they relate to EV, grid, micro-grid, distributed energy and consumer electronics.
$30 - Online Advanced Registration ends April 21
$40 - At the Door
Tickets are non-refundable, but transferable to another party
Interested in sponsoring this event or having a display table?
5:30 - Registration, Networking, Catered Food & Refreshments
6:00 - Welcome and Overview
6:15 - The Cleantech Open accelerator
6:30 - Keynote: Leyden Energy
6:45 - Q&A
7:00 - CalCharge and Battery University
7:15 - Q&A
7:30 - Introduction to Panel
7:40 - Panel Discussion
8:10 - Q&A